Show search

UK university preparation
Personalised care and support

Your specialist support team

At Kings, we have a complete team of specialists in place who are here to ensure you develop and grow — academically, personally and socially. It begins with the carefully managed, intensive two-day induction programme before term starts, and continues throughout your time with us.

1. Group Tutor: will be your constant point of reference for support and advice throughout your course.

2. Subject Teachers: will provide specialist expertise in your chosen subjects and will work closely with you to develop your subject knowledge and experience.

3. Director of Studies: will interview you during your first two weeks, will oversee your development and will be available for support and advice throughout your course.

4. University Counsellor: will work closely with you to help you choose your university and degree course, and will help you with the entire application process.

5. Accommodation Officer: will ensure you are secure and comfortable with your host family or in your student residence or house, and is always available to resolve any problems.

6. Welfare Officer: will help you with any personal or emotional needs you have, and is always available for friendly advice and support.

Specialist support for Under 16s

Talented students who are not yet 16 have the potential to thrive within the UK education system, but need the personalised support which is the hallmark of Kings.

This consists of:

  • Full supervision during college hours Monday-Friday
  • Welfare Counsellors, including some in student's own language
  • Regular contact with students’ parents on request
  • Full-board meals (lunch at College Monday to Friday)
  • Specially selected homestay accommodation, within walking distance

UK Guardianship

We believe that a UK-based guardian is of considerable benefit to a student’s general development, academic progress and emotional wellbeing. 

This is a legal requirement for all students under 16, and at Kings it is a minimum requirement until the end of the term in which the student becomes 16.

However, we recommend that each student has a guardian in place until they reach 18.

Student visa information

Studying in the UK

If you live outside the European Union, you will almost certainly be classed as a visa national and will need to obtain a visa before you can study in the UK.

If you are a European citizen living within the EU, you will not need a visa to student in England.

If you are classed as a visa national, depending on the length of time you wish to study you may require a student visitor visa or a general student visa.

For the latest information and guidance, we suggest you visit the UK Border Agency website.

Studying in the USA

Depending on your course, the number of hours study per week and your nationality, you may need a visa to study in the USA. There are certain exceptions for courses with less than 18 class hours per week.

For the latest student visa information on visit this website.

To enroll as a full-time student in the USA following a course of 18 contact hours or more per week you must obtain an F-1 visa:

Before you can apply for an F-1 visa you will need a I-20 Certificate of Eligibility from Kings Colleges.

F-1 visa application process

1. Submit a completed Kings Colleges application.

Students must have a valid I-20 form to be able to apply for the F-1 visa. Kings Colleges will issue the I-20 after the completed application form is processed.

2. Make an appointment with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Students must apply for a visa in their country of residence after receiving their I-20. The local Embassy or Consulate will provide students with specific application instructions.

3. Pay the I-901 Fee

The I-901 fee must be paid before the visa appointment. Visit this website for instructions and acceptable payment methods:

4. Bring all necessary forms and documents to the interview (visa application, SEVIS I-20, financial statements, etc.).

Kings Colleges requires the following to be able to issue an I-20:

  • Completed Kings Colleges application form.
  • Student address in home country (must not be a P.O. box).
  • Copy of valid passport.
  • Paid registration fee (no deposit required).
  • Proof of financial eligibility:

-Must be dated within past 60 days.
-Must be liquid account (i.e., savings or checking, not investment).
-Must show funds to cover invoice amount.*
-If in foreign currency, copy of exchange rate for the amount should accompany financial statement (this should be done by Kings).
-Should be in student name or name of sponsor.
-If financial statement is submitted by sponsor, an Affadavit of Support must accompany the application.

For the latest student visa information on visit this website.

Pre-arrival information

Well before our students leave home, we will provide them with all the information they need to ensure their new learning journey is a happy and successful one.

They will have all the details about how to find the person who will meet them at the airport, and about their host family or residential accommodation.We’ll also send them information about what to do on their first day at the college.

Our Get Set guide gives them all the information they need about living and learning in the UK.

Specialist support for Oxbridge and medical school applications

We also have dedicated support plans for students wanting to apply for the most competitive and demanding degree courses. 

Degrees at Oxbridge

Students aiming for the elite universities in the UK, including Oxford and Cambridge, need more than simply strong academic ability. They also need broad intellectual skills, sophisticated cultural and social awareness plus familiarity with the interview process. 

Our specialist Oxbridge guidance provides practical advice, interview practice and sessions to develop deeper cultural and intellectual awareness.

Degrees in Medicine 

Gaining a place to follow a Medicine course at undergraduate level in the UK is very demanding — with 8000 applicants for only 600 international places. 

Applicants must take a specialist medical Ability Test and achieve a very high score.

At Kings we provide specialist support for students wishing to follow this path.

We will develop your skills and experience in taking the Ability Tests and will ensure you have a dedicated Senior Mentor to support you through the application process. We also guide your early research procedures to help you choose the most suitable Medical school and will support you in your visits to Medical schools.

Student insurance

When you travel to the UK or to the USA to study, you need to be confident that everything is done to make sure you are protected and safe.

Insurance for USA-bound students

For students travelling to the USA to study with us, we recommend Sirius International Insurance Corporation. We will arrange insurance for you via them unless you tell us at application stage that you already have travel insurance.

Student insurance will cost US$25 per week.

Insurance for UK-bound students

We have developed an insurance policy which is especially designed for international students in conjunction with Endsleigh, a major UK insurance provider.

The insurance policy gives a very high level of cover and will protect you against loss of possessions as well as accident or emergency.

For full policy details, please visit the Prices page.