Show search

English language courses

Q: How do I book/pay for a course?

You can book your course either by using our online booking form, or contacting the Admissions team in the location of your choice. 

Q: How will I know which course is best for me?

If you are unsure which course will be best for you, please contact us and we can help you establish this. You can also find full details of our English programmes here.

Q: How do I know if my English is good enough for a particular course?

Knowing how proficient you are, will allow us to judge whether you can cope with the lessons and course work within the timescale of a programme or if you need additional tuition and time, so it is essential we test your English before you arrive.

We send a test to all students who book a course with us.

We ask students to do the test on their own as receiving help from someone else will only invalidate the test. We also test all students on the first day of their course and if the level of English does not correspond to that of the Pre-arrival test, we will be forced to change study plan for the student and in some cases, send the student back to their country. 

Q: Will I get a certificate?

Yes, provided you attend over 90% of your lessons, you will receive an end-of-course certificate when you leave.

Q: When do courses start?

Most courses start every Monday, including Intensive, TOEFL preparation, and the Vacation course.  Other specialised courses will have specific start dates throughout the year, such as our Cambridge English preparation courses and our English Plus courses.

Q: Can I study in two different locations?

Yes, this is fine. For example, some students choose to study in both Boston and Los Angeles - you would obtain an I-20 and student visa for the first location and Kings would transfer the I-20 from the first school to the next school once you are ready to make the change. 

Q: What is the average age of students at Kings?

At Kings, we welcome English students of all ages to our programmes, although the main body of our students tend to be aged between 18 and 30. The youngest students that we cater for year-round are 16.

Q: How can I extend my course?

If you are a visa national student, you will need to check your visa expiry date. Our Admissions Team can extend your course for you.

Q: What happens if I want to change my course when I arrive?

You can discuss this with your teachers and Director of Studies who will be able to best advise you on a new course to suit your needs and level. You can then speak to the Admissions staff who can change your booking, subject to availability. Please note there may be an additional charge.

In both the UK and the US, you will need to make sure that the course you wish to change to meets your visa requirements. For example, in the US, if you are on an F-1 student visa, you will only be allowed to change to another full-time course of 18 hours or more per week. 

Q: Can I take a holiday during my course?

In the UK:

Yes, if you are studying for 24+ weeks you are entitled to a 2 week holiday and 3 weeks if you are studying 36+ weeks. All holiday is taken at the discretion of our Director of Studies and you will need to make a request with 4 weeks’ notice.

In the US:

For students on an F-1 student visa, a 2-week vacation is allowed after 16 weeks of consecutive study, provided you have at least 4 weeks remaining upon your return.  Students on tourist visas are allowed to have breaks during their stay but make sure you talk a student advisor at the school first.

For shorter programmes in both countries, we don’t recommend that you plan to take time out during your course – partly because we require you to have at least 90% attendance to get your end-of-course certificate. If you would like to explore other parts of the UK or the US, we suggest that you take time at the end of your course to do so if your visa is still valid.

Q: What will happen on my first day?

On your first day, you should arrive at college by 08.45am in the morning. If you are staying with a host family, they will show you how to get to the College. There will be a welcome talk and tour of the College for you and your fellow new students. You’ll have lots of opportunity to meet the other students who will soon be your new friends, as well as your teachers and the other staff who are here to support you.

You will be given a short test to complete so that we can place you in the appropriate class for your ability.

Q: Can I choose my host family? Can I contact my family before I arrive?

We have dedicated Accommodation Officers in each College who vet and approve all of our host families, and who will match you to the most suitable host. Because our Accommodation Officers closely with our hosts throughout the year, they know them well and have a good idea of where you might best fit in. Our local hosts can include working families, couples, single people and retired people. 

If you have any particular requests or requirements, please make them known prior to your course and we will do our best to accommodate them.

Host family contact details are found on the Accommodation Letter we send before you arrive.

Q: What do I need to bring if I stay with a host family?

Your host family will provide your bedding and linen but you will need to bring a towel and any other home comforts (within reason!). You will need to bring your own toiletries etc. The family will do a laundry wash once a week. If you would like to use the internet, you will need to bring your own laptop as the family may not have a computer available. 

Q: What sort of food should I expect from my host family?

In Britain, people eat foods from all over the world. As well as traditional English dishes, Italian, Indian and Asian food in particular is very popular - people cook these types of foods in their homes as well as eating them in restaurants. In short, every household in the UK will have a different diet, but you should let your host know at the start if there is something which you really do not like and would prefer not to eat.

Equally, please make sure you tell us and your hosts before you arrive if you have a special diet, especially if you are a vegetarian or cannot eat certain foods. We will be happy to accommodate your needs.

Q: What can I do at the weekends?

During your time at Kings there will be a full range of events, activities and excursions for you to enjoy. These will vary from week to week, and you can find details of what’s going on in the College, online via Facebook and also on ClassMate, our online learning companion.

Q: Where can I buy lunch?

The majority of our colleges have on-site catering facilities where you can get a range of food at an affordable price. The only locations not to currently have an on-site cafeteria are St. Michaels campus in Oxford and Kings Los Angeles. In both of these places, there are a huge range of cafes, restaurants and other eateries within a few minutes' walk.

Q: Can I open a bank account?

Yes, if you are studying for 6 months or longer you will be able to open a bank account. We will help you do this when you arrive.

Q: Can I book a taxi to collect me from the airport?

Yes, we offer an airport transfer service across all of our locations. If you require a transfer, please ask about this at the time of booking.

Q: Do you accept beginner learners?

We do, yes. Our Beginners’ Intensive course is designed especially for beginners. Our Vacation Course is also open to beginner learners.